Site Wide Categories
What does the Site Wide Categories Module do?
Site Wide Categories are used in conjunction with the News and Events Modules, to Categorise the News and Events in to separate Categories.
Using the Site Wide Categories, you can display particular categories of events on certain pages.
Setting up Site Wide Categories
- To administer your Site Wide Categories click on Modules from the top tab menu, and select Site Wide Categories.
- You will be taken to the Site Wide Categories Administration page, which will show a list of the current categories.
- Click from the left hand menu
- Complete the Category details in the relevant fields;
- Category Name: Name your Category
- Category Start Date: If you want your Category to start after the current date, enter the start date. If you would like your Category to begin immediately, leave this field blank.
- Category Expiry Date: Leave this field empty if you do not want your Category to expire.
- Category Order: Enter the order number you wish your Category to be seen in the list of Categories.
- Category Descrition: Enter a description for your Category.
- Once you have completed the fields, click Save & Close.
- Your Category will now be listed in the current Site Wide Categories list, and will require activation to start.
- To Activate your Category, click the red toggle switch to change it to green, which shows the Category is now active.
Using Site Wide Categories with News
- Once you have created and activated your Categories you can then categorise your news via the News Module.
- To enter the News Module, click Modules, and select News from the drop down list.
- Select the Edit icon next to the relevant News item and you will see a list of Categories.
- Tick all of the relevant categories that you wish to have the news appear under.
Displaying Categorised News Items
- To add a categorised news list to a page, go to Page Management by clicking Pages in the top tab menu, and click on the Widget icon located next to the page that you wish to add the display to.
- Click button located at the top left of the page.
- This Widget works with two News Widgets;
- For a Centre News item, scroll down Centre Widgets, and find "News with Thumbnails"
- For a Side News item, scroll to find Side Column Widgets and select "News with Thumbnails"
- Click + Add Widget
- The Widget will then be visible on your screen, along with other Widgets active on that page.
- Click on the cog icon at the top right hand side of the new News Widget.
- Select the category of news items that you would like to display on this page (and max number of items items and description length) if required.
- Click Save
- Widgets are immediately active on your page, so we recommend you preview the page once you have completed these steps.
Using Site Wide Categories with Events
- Once you have created and activated your Categories you can then categorise your Events via the Events module.
- Enter the Events Administration area, by clicking Modules, and selecting Events from the drop down list.
- Click the Edit icon next to the relevant event and click the Details tab
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, where you will see a list of Categories.
- Tick all of the relevant categories that you wish to have the event appear under.
Displaying Categorised Events
- To add a categorised events list to a page, go to Page Management and click on the Widget icon located next to the page that you wish to add the display to.
- Click on the button located at the top left of the page.
- Select Events from the left hand side of the list
- Scroll to the Centre Widgets section, and find "Events with Thumbnails" and click "Add Widget"
- The Widget will then be visible on your screen, along with all over active Widgets for the page.
- Click on the cog icon at the top right hand side of the Widget
- In this widget you need to add the Sitewide Category Code;
- to find the code you will need to hover over the edit button in the site wide categories module and will see a link including the category code will appear at the bottom of the page like the example below;
- Click Save